Liträo - Fardo Eterno and Egomorte


I have a theory that most bands are a mix of genres, even if some of the genres are subtle, and the secondary, more submerged genres often make a difference as to whether or not you like something. 

For example, I like a lot of sludge and post metal, but a lot of the (big scare quotes, here) "big sludge bands" aren't the ones I like (for example, I can't really get into The Melvins). I think the reason why is that I'm just, frankly, not that into a lot of the submerged genres that lots of the big sludge bands are built on and which seem to be a lot of people's way in to listening to that sort of thing. Grunge, prog rock, dessert rock, etc., none of those genres do much for me. So if you're a sludge or post metal band that has an undertow (see what I did there?) of one of those genres, I'm almost certainly not going to like it. Nothing personal, you do your thing, but it's just not something that resonates with me.

Liträo, on the other hand, are sludge that leans exactly in the direction I like to hear. 

Like Eyehategod, Cavity, Primitive Man, or Thou, Brazilian band Liträo is a sludge act that leans in the direction of crusty hardcore, with trudging riffs and throat shredding vocals woven into an ugly wall of dissonant noise. As someone who got into heavy music through genres like punk, thrash, and hardcore, Liträo is a band that hits a really strong reservoir of nostalgia for me. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this kind of fully stripped down, raw sludge metal, which feels like it was practically designed to be the soundtrack to seeing a mind-blowing 6 band show in a basement somewhere in the dead of summer. Spend an hour listening to Liträo and you can't help but imagine your ears ringing for two days after seeing them in a room with a barely 7 foot ceiling.  

Their new EP is really enjoyable and clocks in at barely over fifteen minutes, if you want something for a short attention span. Their last album is a full length masterpiece. Both are NYP on Bandcamp so if, like me, you tend to prefer your sludge to be as churning and ugly as possible, you should absolutely give everything Liträo has dropped a listen. 


  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weedian - Trip to Illinois

Djunah - Femina Furens